Just over a year ago, I hit a wall and an epiphany at the same time. Previously, like most people with herpes, I had approached herpes with the alternating depression that I would have to disclose and the fear of being rejected. After 35 years with the virus though, I had finally figured out a few things:
- That rejection was not about me.
- That most people are woefully ignorant not only about herpes, but STD facts in general so their reaction told me a lot about who THEY were and whether I really wanted them in my life anyway.
- That I wasn’t ashamed of having herpes.
- That I no longer wanted to hide in a closet of shame and fear.
- That I wanted to just be my fully authentic self.
- That I was tired of the stigma.